This is an overview of the McDonald family home on Church St. The first owner Hugh McDonald Sr. was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1828 and his wife Margaret (Fraser) McDonald was born in Inverness in 1827. In 1881, they came to Stouffville and took charge of the Wheler farm which they managed until most of it was sold, in the form of village lots (this was the west end of the village).
The McDonald family initially built a home which became 51 William St. in 1889 for Fred Spofford. Their home at 115 Church St. was also built in 1889. The ornate verandas with gingerbread and stained glass windows added to the beauty of this two-and-a-half-storey frame house. The property was part of Plan 63, for this portion of Church St. being lot 8, lot 10 and seven acres to the east. This was the beginnings of Manitoba St.
John “Jack” McDonald, who was the son of Hugh, built the butchering business in the shop just east of Daley’s Hall (corner of Market and Main St.) and it was later occupied by the McDonald brothers. After some time he became interested in the shipping of livestock, and for one year gave it his exclusive attention. In the spring of 1905 the three brothers, John, Hugh, and Alexander took over the retail butchering business and enjoyed a fair share of public patronage. They also continued the shipping trade. In early years very little livestock was shipped from Stouffville station. But in 1895 it had one of the largest trades along this line. The McDonalds had done their part towards developing this market for the farmers.
In 1925, auctioneer Fred W. Silversides purchased the Margaret McDonald estate property on Church St. consisting of nearly six acres of land, house and barn for $2,600. Silversides intended to start early the next spring to renovate the place, especially the house and put in a furnace. When completed it was one of the most desirable properties in town. It had the advantage of plenty of land with good pasture and water.
One year later (1926), Silversides sold the home and property for $4,700 to Alfred E. Pugh and his wife Amy. Pugh was the constable for the village. Pugh made apartments in the large home.
He later sold his home and seven acres of land to John Quibell, section foreman for the C.N.R. Constable Harold Quibell was a resident in the home in 1938 inherited from his father John.