Tannery Lot east side, part of Plan51.
This home was referred to as the “Flint home”. It was built c.1875 for John B. Flint the son of George Flint. The Flint Foundry was next door. The foundry was where the famous revolving horse –rake was manufactured. It could pull and thresh green peas in a single operation. What a technological advance! This piece of agricultural equipment was the winner of first prize at the Provincial Exhibition, 1868.
John B. Flint was the son of George and Mary Rose (Teed) Flint. He was born in Rochester, New York on July 31, 1852. He was later baptised in Markham Township [likely Main St. Stouffville, south side] by a Wesleyan Methodist Minister on June 17, 1856. He was still living with them in the “Hand House”, corner of Spring St. in 1871. John was listed as a cabinet maker. He was married July 7, 1874, to Ruth S. Revis. The following children were born in this house. David “Willard” born April 26, 1875. Next in line was Grace “Edith” born February 13, 1877. Another girl born next was Mary Blanche “Minnie” on August 21, 1880. The family soon moved away to the Chatham area by 1881.
The design for this residence is outstanding even to this day the home is a Class “A” home worthy of protection and perseveration. The orange colour brick home was very different, set in this location beside other wooden houses. The windows have a segmented arch with brick corbelling in a contrast yellow brick, including keystones. The two bayed projections have special mouldings that cannot be found anywhere else which have been highlighted in a green paint. The upper round top windows on the front are different to dress up the street look of this full 2 story dwelling. The trim work shows the craftsmanship of a gingerbread design that is original and brackets near the eaves that serve to anchor the roof slope. The pine details inside still have the mouldings and baseboard in full size. The doors are mostly original, including the main front door with its curve oval design and a lower single panel below.
This home was a labour of love by George Flint for his son John B. The early craftsman in the local community would have worked on this house, included Matthew Flint a cousin and George Flint Jr. (b.1843) who ran a planning mill and factory on Edward St. It has certainly stood the test of time being well kept by people who cared and valued the history in Stouffville.