The City of Toronto held its third annual Toronto Sport Hall of Honour induction ceremony April 27 at the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre, with Penny Oleksiak, Andre De Grasse and the Canadian Women’s Olympic 4x100m Swim Relay Team among the new inductees.
“The achievements of this impressive group of inductees inspire Torontonians of all ages to get active in our city,” said Mayor John Tory. “The sport community has made tremendous contributions of all kinds to the social fabric of Toronto over the years and I’m glad to see this recognized today.”
The following are this year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour inductees in each of 10 categories:
• Athletes of the Year: Penny Oleksiak and Andre De Grasse
• Para-Athlete of the Year: Marissa Papaconstantinou
• Special Olympics Athletes of the Year: Gohulan Rajalingam and Jeffrey Steiman
• Team of the Year: Canadian Women’s Olympic 4x100m Swim Relay Team
• Coach of the Year: Ben Titley
• Builder: Bruce Kidd
• Corporate Builder: MLSE Foundation
• Sport Legends: Tom Longboat, Cindy Nicholas and Vicky Sunohara
• Spirit of Sport: Justine Blainey-Broker
• City of Sport Lifetime Achievement: David Ross
The Toronto Sport Hall of Honour is a legacy initiative of the City of Toronto’s Host City Showcase Program from the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games. Nominations for next year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour are open until October 1.
Nomination forms as well as inductee photographs and biographies are available at toronto.ca/tshh.