Doors Open Stouffville will be celebrating 13 years with 12 outstanding sites of historical, architectural and cultural importance.
Admission is free for visitors at all participating sites on June 3 between 10 am and 4 pm (unless otherwise noted).
On the list is:
Altona Mennonite Meeting House located at 5475 Sideline 30 located at Sideline 30 and the Uxbridge-Pickering Townline was built by pioneers who emigrated from Pennsylvania, this 1852 brick meeting house has never been renovated. It contains original unpainted pine pews and floor. The cemetery is the burial place of the founder of Stouffville, Abraham Stouffer, and his family. Located just outside the municipal boundaries of Whitchurch-Stouffville in Altona, this site represents the rural Mennonite roots of the community.
Applewood Farm Winery located at 12416 McCowan Road is a great family-friendly destination where you can enjoy a bit of country close to the city; the winery was constructed using salvaged barn boards and wood from trees found on the property, which the family has been farming for almost 45 years. Enjoy tastings, sample delicious fruit preserves and meet the winemaker.
Bill Fisch Forest Stewardship and Education Centre located at 16389 Highway 48 built as a testament to sustainability, this innovative building is LEED certified and creates more energy than it uses. The Centre is the hub for York Region Forestry’s educational programming. It was built using local, recycled materials, and it’s like nothing one has seen before! Take a guided or self-guided tour.
The Bottle Shed Foundation located at 2227a Stouffville Road is a non-profit organization that supports local charities; their main source of fundraising is through the donation of empty liquor containers. They support youth with intellectual disabilities by providing an environment for employment training. Visit to learn more and peruse the shop for beautiful crafts created by volunteers.
Darul Khair Center located at 6356 Main Street a mosque will have interactive guided tours offered every half hour. During Doors Open, there will be free gifts for all visitors, plus free tasty refreshments, an Islamic movie screening, an Islamic poster exhibition, and much more.
Forever Thyme Sanctuary located at 14571 Warden Avenue provides a safe and peaceful forever home for retired horses. Visit the horses and tour the farm. There will be arts and crafts, a bake sale and refreshments, and souvenir items available; guided tours every 20 to 30 minutes, starting from the front deck.
Latcham Gallery located at 6240 Main Street is the public art gallery since 1979; the Latcham Gallery features exhibitions of contemporary art, artist talks, hands-on programs, classes and camps. Visit the Ed Pien exhibition – a response to his work with immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers as they explore their past and their hopes for the future; refreshments and guided tours available.
Lebovic Centre for Arts & Entertainment – Nineteen on the Park located at 19 Civic Avenue was originally designed as a market and concert hall, this building has been used for many purposes over the years. During Doors Open, travel back to the Roaring ‘20s, see a vintage film, participate in a Q&A with Sun-Tribune editor Jim Mason and Dr. Jason Wilson, and enjoy a reggae concert by two-time Juno Award nominee Jason Wilson & the Perennials.
Lemonville United Church located at 13523 McCowan Road held its first service within a frame schoolhouse in 1854 and were moved to the first church building in 1856. Newly designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, the current church was constructed in 1869 and is situated adjacent to the cemetery, where grave inscriptions date from 1857. Enjoy the history display. Cookbooks and refreshments will be available for purchase.
Richmond Hill Live Steamers located at 15922 McCowan Road is a place where adults and children alike come and take a ride on one of these miniature railways – with three sizes to choose from. Take time to learn how railways operated in days gone by. This group of hobbyists and engineers has a wonderful collection of privately owned miniature trains, which are based on real engines dating back to the 1820s.
Stouffville Lawn Bowling Club located at 4 Church Street South was founded in 1894, this club was originally for men only; women were invited to join in 1929. In 1968, league play became mixed – men and women could play on the same team. The existing clubhouse was built in 1934.
Stouffville Optometry located at 6085 Main Street was built in 1905, this building houses Stouffville’s first and longest-running eye clinic. Old and new architectural features are blended together to make an efficient and beautiful building. During Doors Open, tours will be available hourly, featuring exhibits of current eye-care technologies that encourage people to “know ourselves” – from our retinal blood vessels and optic nerves to eye pressures.
Stouffville United Church located at 34 Church Street North was constructed in 1892; the Stouffville United Church was designed by Nathan Forsythe. The church contains a treasured pipe organ, which was installed in 1935. Visit during Doors Open and observe a quilting demonstration and sale, hear the sounds of the pipe organ, learn more about Small Town Montessori Pre-School (located on the lower level), and enjoy refreshments.
Whitchurch-Stouffville Museum and Community Centre located at 14732 Woodbine Avenue is on Doors Open to Celebrate Canada’s birthday with the Canada’s 150th: Then and Now exhibit. Learn about the significance of the site’s historical buildings and hear the story of how they were relocated to the museum. Enjoy craft activities for children as well as an exhibition by Nature’s Own Forest Art (sculptures created using local trees) in the main hall.
Visit www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/ws for details.