Wondering if French immersion is right for you child? The York Region Catholic District School Board (YRCDSB) invites you to find out at one of several information sessions.
The sessions are for parents and guardians interested in enrolling their children in the French immersion elementary program for the 2019-20 school year. Children born in 2013 who will begin Grade 1 in September are eligible to apply. The sessions will provide an overview of the program and explain the criteria for enrolment, as well as the application and registration processes. You’ll also find out more about transportation and will have a chance to ask questions.
The French immersion program aims to provide non-francophone children with a high degree of proficiency in the French language. Although the curriculum is the same as in the English-language program, the language of instruction for most subjects is in French in the primary grades. YRCDSB offers French immersion at 15 elementary schools and four high schools throughout York Region.
Parents can submit an application for their children at www.ycdsb.ca from November 26 to January 25. After the application deadline and depending on the number of applicants, a lottery may be conducted. Parents and guardians should attend the information session for their local French Immersion school, which can be determined at http://locator.ycdsb.ca/schoollocator/.
Parents should also apply for their child to attend the program at their local elementary French immersion school. Following is a list of the scheduled public information sessions for each of those schools. Each session begins at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 6:
- Anthony Catholic Elementary School (CES), 141 Kirk Dr., Thornhill
Tuesday, Nov. 20:
- Joseph the Worker CES, 475 Brownridge Dr., Thornhill
Wednesday, Nov. 28:
- Christ the King CES, 329 Valleymede Dr., Richmond Hill
- Our Lady of Fatima CES, 191 Crofter’s Rd., Woodbridge
- John Bosco CES, 199 Belview Ave, Woodbridge
- John XXIII CES, 125 Krieghoff Ave., Unionville
- Joseph, Aurora CES, 2 Glass Dr., Aurora
- Mark CES, 133 Glad Park Ave., Stouffville
- Marguerite d’Youville CES, 121 Rollinghill Rd., Richmond Hill
Thursday, Nov. 29:
- Brendan CES, 751 Hoover Park Drive, Stouffville
Monday, Dec. 3:
- Blessed Trinity CES, 230 Hawker Blvd., Maple
- Edward CES, 33 Cairns Dr., Markham
- Elizabeth Seton CES, 960 Leslie Valley Dr., Newmarket
Tuesday, Dec. 4:
- St Thomas Aquinas CES, 262 Old Homestead Rd., Keswick
Thursday, Dec. 6:
- Francis Xavier CES, 223 Highglen Ave., Markham
The elementary French immersion program is a prerequisite for the board’s secondary French immersion program, which is currently available at St. Brother Andre CHS in Markham, Father Bressani CHS in Woodbridge, Jean Vanier CHS in Richmond Hill and St. Maximilian Kolbe CHS in Aurora. A list of high school information nights is available at: http://ow.ly/AWVY30mbYPn.