Province to clear roadblocks to subway extension

York Region is “encouraged” by the provincial government’s plan to accelerate several priority subway projects, including Yonge North Subway – “Council’s No. 1 transit priority.”

“We are optimistic the proposed legislative and regulatory changes will help move this project forward and provide commuters in York Region and our neighbouring communities with a variety of transit options,” says York Region Chairman and CEO Wayne Emmerson.

In an address to the Economic Club of Canada on Wednesday, Feb. 5, Minister of Transportation Caroline Mulroney said the province will remove environmental assessment barriers and collaborate with competing construction projects to help municipal partners deliver the critical infrastructure needed to move residents and goods across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

“Across the region, our roads are plagued with congestion. Commuters are idling on highways, jammed on subway platforms or stuck in neighbourhoods without access to rapid transit,” she said. “Our practical and responsible plan, if passed, will enable us to build transit faster by getting shovels in the ground sooner. Our government has a plan to build transit better and faster because people and businesses depend on our transportation infrastructure and they deserve better.”

York Region continues to make “record-level investments” in transportation and transportation-related projects, including the extension of the Yonge North Subway line into the City of Richmond Hill and many road construction and rehabilitation projects across the Region, Emmerson reports.

The Doug Ford government announced plans last year to lead a $28.5-billion subway program that includes the Yonge North Subway Extension to Markham and Richmond Hill, the Eglinton West Crosstown Extension, the improved three-stop Scarborough Subway Extension and the all-new Ontario Line.

Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, addressed the Economic Club of Canada at the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto on February 5. Photo courtesy of the Ministry of Transportation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This