The hybrid Victorian home has some of the design from the last century.
It was built circa 1889 for Alice Fleury. Her family had a foundry across the street that was built just a few years before their home. Peter Fleury Sr. had purchased the lot as Plan 59 Lot 59 for the sum of $130 on March 9, 1886.
He took out a mortgage of $97 from William Somerville. Peter Sr. paid it back three years later. He then sold the lot to his daughter-in-law, Alice Speight, and her husband, Peter Fleury Jr., for $140. This is likely when the home was built. The Fleury family lived here for another three years when she sold to Urias C. Hamilton for $1,200.
The industrial buildings across the street are also built of yellow brick. The Fleury Foundry was built in 1885. After the Fleury Foundry in Markham burnt down in 1884, Alexander Fleury came to Stouffville and rebulit the business with his four sons, Seth C., Peter C., Arthur R., and Egbert.
In the early years, it was known as the Stouffville Agricultural Works then expanded c. 1900 to include Crown Brass and Steel Works. The workers in the factory included Mr. Nelles, a machinist and Mr. Herbert E. James.
Urias C. Hamilton, the next owner, was running a grocery store one door east of the railway station on the north side. They sold stationery, mouth organs, confectionery, biscuits and canned goods. He also dealt in oysters, fruit, toys and fancy goods.
He also worked as the town clerk under Reeve Hiram Johnson in 1891 and 1892. The local option became a By-law in 1892 to prohibit the sale of liquor in the Village of Stouffville.
Viewing the details of the home, one can describe the character that makes it special and one of a kind. This landmark building is located in a neighbourhood of historic homes and industrial buildings.
The gingerbread details have a special look. The starburst pediment in the large east gable is outstanding. The craved wooden facia shows the amount of workmanship given to the building of a home and the pride of maintaining this look in the community.
The offset gable with the gothic window blends the style of architecture form a time past. Another design feature is the two-story bay bow on the south end of the home.
With the new porch rebuilt, the home did lose the gingerbread detail and older railing style which once showcased this yellow brick home.
As you look around on this street, you will notice that the yellow brick was used more often, even in the industrial structures across the street. This theme continued to other streets as well as the town grew over time.
Photo: The hybrid Victorian home at 38 Edward Street has some of the design from the last century.