York Regional Police is reminding motorists to drive safely this winter season and take added precautions in snow and icy weather.
On winter days with poor weather and driving conditions, York Regional Police sees two to three times as many collisions compared to a typical day. Most of these collisions related to winter driving are avoidable.
- Always check weather and travel conditions before heading out and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Slow down, drive according to the weather conditions and ensure you have enough time and gas in your tank to get you to your destination.
- Top up your windshield washer fluid and clear the snow and ice completely from your vehicle.
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Avoid distractions.
- Leave a large space between your vehicles and those in front or around you.
- Plan for longer times and distances when braking at a stop sign or at intersection.
To view a video on tips for winter driving follow this link: https://youtu.be/azhqO7kVVpE
If you are involved in a collision remember to stay calm. Call 9-1-1 immediately if anyone is hurt or in danger. Remain at the scene and ensure your vehicle is in a safe location. You may need to move your vehicle off the road to ensure your safety and that of other motorists. If you are able to do so safely, check on the wellbeing of anyone else involved.
Call police immediately if the collision involves any of the following:
- Someone who is hurt or in danger.
- A driver you suspect has committed a crime, such as impaired driving.
- A pedestrian or cyclist.
- An uncooperative driver.
- Damage to private property.
- A government vehicle or a vehicle that is transporting dangerous goods.
If the combined damage to vehicles is believed to be less than $2,000 and none of the above circumstances exist, you do not require a police report. Exchange drivers’ licenses, ownership and insurance information with any other drivers involved and report directly to your insurance company.
For more information on reporting collisions please visit https://www.yrp.ca/en/services/collision-reporting.asp